Home Preparation Checklist
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them."
- Cut and Edge the Lawn.
- Trim bushes & trees removing all dead limbs & debris.
- Remove all weeds from flowerbeds, rocks, & cracks in concrete.
- Install/ Inspect decorative metal or stone borders between lawn & planting beds.
- Clean up rock/ mulch beds making sure the rock covers the ground Add more rock/ mulch if needed.
PATIOS & DRIVEWAYS
- Wash driveways & sidewalks.
- Patch holes & cracks.
- Remove stains.
- Replace any broken areas.
- Paint and/or stain fences & decks.
- Arrange outdoor furniture & firewood neatly.
- Put away all lawn equipment, bikes, & toys.
- Inspect all exterior elements of home: gutters, downspouts, siding, windows sashes, trim, & shutters. Clean, paint, and/or replace as needed.
- Replace any broken windows, doors, & screens. Make sure they all operate properly.
- Clean windows & screens thoroughly. This helps brighten the home inside.
- Roof: Inspect for missing/ damaged shingles & flashings. Make any necessary repairs.
- Clean & touch up paint on the little things: House numbers, mailboxes, doorbells.
- Replace front door if damaged & can not be repaired.
- Paint door & trim.
- Clean porch area.
- Put out a new & clean doormat.
- Install potted/ hanging plants if space permits.
- Have a nice porch light. Repaint, clean, or replace. Install high wattage bulbs to make porch area brighter.
- Clean windows & screens.
- Clean curtains, drapes, & blinds.
- Clean carpets. If pet stains exist replace carpet & pad.
- Clean & wax wood floors.
- Clean vinyl & ceramic floors.
- Clean, paint, replace all vent covers.
- Clean, polish, paint/stain wood trim in home.
- Be sure to remove pet odor & smoke odor when cleaning. Smell is a huge part of what buyers remember about your
- Remove wallpaper & borders (this is a personal taste & buyers see work when they see wallpaper).
- Freshly paint home using white, off white or beige paint. This will match the buyers furnishings.
- Repair damages to walls & ceilings. Includes: holes, cracks, & water stains. Repaint after repair.
- Clean all lamp shades & covers.
- Replace bulbs with high wattage bulbs.
- Clean windows & screens.
- Remove out of season clothing from closets.
- Leave only a few items on the floor of closets.
- Add extra, empty hangers.
- Neatly arrange items on shelving.
- Leave extra space on shelves
- Tighten loose door knobs.
- Fix any leaky faucets.
- Tighten loose towel racks.
- Oil any squeaky doors or drawers.
- Arrange furniture to give an open feel. Remove any unnecessary or oversized furniture.
- Make sure all switches & outlets are clean & working properly.
- Place fresh flower arrangements throughout home.
- Make sure windows open & close with out squeaking.
- Hide Prescription medication. Theft of these items is rising.
KITCHEN & BATH
- Thoroughly clean all counter tops, appliances, mirrors, ovens, sinks, toilets, tub, & shower walls.
- Store small appliances to open up counter space.
- Clear off vanity counter tops & store all personal care items neatly.
- Clean ventilating hood & exhaust fans.
- Remove rust stains.
- New knobs on drawers & cabinets make a difference.
- Clean & organize drawers, cabinets, & linen closets.
- Clean all tile grout & caulk.
- Re-caulk areas that can not be cleaned.
- Dispose of everything you are not going to move.
- Arrange items neatly & clutter free.
- Consider painting walls & ceilings white.
- Remove stains & dirt from floor.
- Paints floors gray.
- Organize garden tools & equipment.
- Wipe off dirt/cob webs from water heater, furnace, washer & dryer.
- Cure water problems in basement. Seek professional advice if needed.
Victoria's Premier Site for Real Estate
Karin Barlow & Mark Shepard